Let me tell you how I know this to be true. On Tuesday, I needed to take Lauren to another doctor's appointment in Los Angeles. Just a routine follow-up at 4:00 pm. Well, that timing puts us smack dab in the middle of LA traffic so we figured we would just hang out till the worst of it passed before we headed home.
Here comes the husband part... Knowing full well that:
Lauren + A Mama (with time to hang out in LA) = SHOPPING,
he very thoroughly searched the internet for something ELSE for us to do and then sweetly offered up a wonderful idea that did not include a mall, an Anthropologie, or an American Eagle...
We headed over to Hollywood to the Pantages Theater to see In The Heights! (It's a Tony award winning musical and the show's writer was playing the starring role!) It was absolutely positively AMAZING!!
Joey had researched it all and said, very earnestly, "Oh, you should definitely go see this! Lauren will love it and it's only 20 minutes from the doctor's office, and there are great seats available, and it's perfect timing..." And on and on he went. And the whole time I was thinking what an amazing man I married that he would spend time finding something fun for Lauren and I to do and what a great daddy he is that he wants Lauren to enjoy a little culture and to experience something a bit out of the ordinary!
But... upon further consideration, I realized that even with the Hot Tamales and the Red Vines and the drinks and the parking, he still made out way better than if we had gone shopping!
Smart Smart Man!! Kind and amazing, but also VERY smart!
P.S. In case you were wondering, there is a mall very close to the Pantages. Like within walking distance. And we did have an hour to kill before the show. Just in case you were wondering...
Tonight is Jake's first football practice. Helmets, pads, tackling... all that fun stuff. He is sooo very excited! This morning he got up early (10:00 at our house is early) to "work out" on the elliptical machine. He ran wind sprints, and then asked for a protein plate at Starbucks, because, he said, "Dad will be so proud of me for eating healthy before I start football". He got his new cleats and he practiced blocking his dad for 30 minutes last night to break in his new shoes. He is ready for some tackle football! But his mama is not.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I can force myself to even watch the practice, much less document the insanity with photos.
4 comments:
I like the way your husband thinks! Of course in my mind seeing a show is way better than shopping, but I am wierd that way. And by the way, Jake is way too little for tackle football. He was just in preschool the other day!
Okay... I have to say that I am proud of you for enjoying theater... I can remember when you hated plays back when I was a starving actress... on the other hand, have to say a bit disappointed that my shopper soul mate was in L.A. and came home empty handed! Please tell me that you at least popped into Antro's sale closet! hee hee
Despite the allergy/sinuses thing, it's good to know the O'Connells have at least one good trait to pass on to their kids. Being smart is a good quality :) (although, are you really calling MY brother smart?)
Post a Comment