Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Time is Drawing Near...

My oldest baby is graduating from 8th grade in exactly 48 days!!  Now, I realize that those of you who live, or grew up, somewhere other than California may think that 8th grade graduation is ridiculous.  I mean, really... like it's some HUGE accomplishment that deserves an entire night of celebration and recognition??  I get that.  But, I did grow up in California and I did look forward to 8th grade graduation and I did wear the most amazing over-the-top aqua colored taffeta formal you have EVER seen with poofy sleeves and tiers and tiers of ruffles and I did wear heels for the very first time - they were amazing white leather pumps! And if I do say so myself, I did look mighty fine in 1983!!  I'll search out a picture and let you decide for yourselves :)

Anyway, back to my hard sell for 8th grade graduation.  IT'S FUN!!  Yep, that's it.  And who can deny a 13 year old a night of getting dressed up      (by the way, her dress is amazing!) and having your name called to walk on stage and having everyone clap for you and taking loads of pictures with your friends (most of whom are going to different High Schools...) and having the night be all about YOU!!  Can you tell I'm so excited for Lauren?  :)

But I'm also sad.  And this is why...

Here is my sweet baby girl in Kindergarten:



And here is my beautiful big girl in 8th grade:


           The time flew...  And I don't like it one bit!!

I'll be posting some other "then" and "now"  pictures in the upcoming weeks just so you can cry right along with me! 

 And believe me when I tell you that if I can find and post a pic of my 8th grade graduation dress... you will definitely have tears in your eyes!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you have to be from California to love 8th grade graduation. I was the only one in our family who had one. My mom made my dress and I had my hair professionally styled for it. I still don't get it.

I can't believe Lauren is old enough for it. Didn't she just start kindergarten, like, yesterday?

Lara