We threw her right into the shark infested water of AYSO soccer!
And to our shock and wonder, she is unbelievably participating. Now, she still doesn't speak to many people while she is there, but she is part of the team and knows everyone's name and cooperates with the coach and even plays in the game while mommy shouts at her from the sidelines, "Get the ball, Soph!" Just like old times with Lauren :)
And her big sister has taught her how to take a "super kick". She does such a great job!
Eleven years later and we still hang out at the AYSO fields on Saturday mornings. I wouldn't have it any other way!
In addition to soccer, Sophie was forced into dance lessons. To our surprise we only had to force her up the stairs the first time...she LOVES dance. I think it's because she doesn't have to/isn't supposed to socialize during class. She just listens and does exactly what her teacher tells her to do.
We are so proud of her for conquering her HUGE fears of the unknown and for becoming just a little bit more confident in her abilities when she isn't right next to her mama or her daddy. I'm not sure she thoroughly enjoys her new adventures yet, but the fact that she is doing them alone, without coaxing or tears, is a giant leap for Sophie!
But... there were tears on August 20th. They were MINE when my littlest started Kindergarten. She was all shy smiles and kisses, but I had to be pulled away by her daddy who knew just the right time before I threw her over my shoulder and hauled her back home with me!
We had sufficiently prepared HER for the separation, but I was a mess. I felt like I lost my right arm all day. She has been my precious gift and best buddy for the past 5 years - we've been pretty inseparable, so it was very hard for me to entrust her to someone else- if only for 3 hours a day :) It is a bit easier for me each day since I truly believe it is wonderful for her and a necessary step at this time, but I must admit I do stalk her every once in a while from the parking lot. I'm busting out my zoom lens next week so I don't have to park so close :) And I will be helping in the classroom each week, so the apron strings are not completely cut - only loosened enough for her to learn to enjoy life with people other than her family.
That same day, my little guy - who is not so little anymore- started 5th grade!
And my biggest girl is a JUNIOR! Wah Wah Wah!!! Now that makes me cry!!!



















2 comments:
Love all the pics. And the part about kindergarten made me teary! You are an amazing mom!
Hurray for Sophie (and Mom!) The pictures are precious.
Post a Comment