Most people here either love it or hate it. As a kid, I LOVED it!!!
As a parent who can literally feel all the flies and germs landing on me as I walk... and having to watch WHERE I walk lest I step in something not appropriate for stepping in...and hanging on to my kid's hand so SHE doesn't step in something unmentionable...well, I have to say I still kinda' love it :)
You see, I grew up living at the fair for those 10 days in September. My big brother and sister were always involved in 4-H and raised steers and sheep. We lived in the middle of nowhere, Oops! I mean Belridge till I was 8 and my brother and sister were almost in high school. Only thing for the big kids to do out there was raise animals and ride little yamaha motorcycles to and from the pens! So steers and sheep it was.
My mom was a trooper. She helped shear those sheep and feed and walk those animals. She drew the line at pigs, though. And I do have very vivid memories of her calling those animals all kinds of names. Did you know that "Sheep are the dumbest animals EVER!" And did you know that "If that steer gets out one more time it better just keep on goin'!" (We had a steer named Jumper who used to jump EVERY barricade they had for it. Hilarious!)
Having an animal in the fair means mostly living at the fair if your home is Belridge cuz it was a LONG drive back and forth, so I have lots of memories of wandering the fairgrounds (back when it was safe to do that!), eating corn dogs, checking the mama cow pen to see how many girls or boys had been born - go girls!, and sitting in the arena stands watching Jami and Jimmy show those animals in their cool white 4-H uniforms.
By the time I was old enough to really get into 4-H my mom was having NOTHING more to do with animals. Instead, she taught the class on... wait for it... FASHION! For our class project we went to the mall and put together an outfit on a budget. No Lie!! I picked the coolest Candies brand shoes from Brocks Dept. store. My mom rocked!
Sophie must take after my mom - this girl has no desire to get too up close and personal with the animals - so, in honor of my mom, I spent the afternoon saying, "Yes, I know sheep are the dumbest animals ever - but animals are our friends!" :)
Here we go...
Here she is thinking, "Are you kidding me that I would let them lick me?!!"
"Yes, this is close enough!"
We saw our friend April who was their with her daughter's goats... Sophie loves April!

On our way out...
And to top off our fun day we headed to Yogurt Land for yummy vanilla yogurt. No toppings, no syrup - just plain vanilla. This child of mine is very easy to please! And a whole lot of fun to be with!
Now, it's off to the mall where I can teach her to pick out an outfit!











No comments:
Post a Comment