Friday, December 17, 2010

The Perfect Core Virtue Award

Today was the last day of school before Christmas vacation... one of my favorite days of the year!  I get to be with my kiddos for two whole weeks with no interruptions!   
At chapel this morning Jake was given the Core Virtue Award for: 
SERVICE.  "Giving of yourself and helping others with a cheerful heart"  



This award absolutely suits him.  One of his most endearing traits is that he is extremely selfless.  He will play with Sophie, read to her, and let her learn to build Legos with him for hours.  He never complains when his dad asks him to wheel the giant trash cans around to the back, and he cleans the playroom even when it's not his mess. I do have to ask him first... he's not perfect:)  He has a kind and empathetic heart for other people, for babies and little children, and even for little animals. 
 Another reason I think this award is perfect for him is that one of Jake's absolute favorite activities around Christmas time is helping to deliver gifts to the family that our classroom "adopts".  He makes sure we pick wonderful, age-appropriate presents (and lots of them) for the children in the family and smiles his shy special smile the whole time we are delivering the gifts.  We did this last night and, just like every year, I cried as he, his sisters, and his classmates marched those presents into the house trying to show a little bit of the love of Jesus to others.


Jake had been out of school Monday-Wednesday and sick since Saturday with a crazy viral something-or-other.  He was only about 36 hours post-sickness, but WOULD NOT miss delivering the presents to this family.  


Most times when I think of Jake's future, I do picture him in a service-oriented field.  Maybe as a missionary or in some type of philanthropic organization or  even as a lawyer who does mostly pro bono work for people who have been wronged by a large corporation. 
Although... he will probably end up in the same courtroom with his older sister, who will undoubtedly be representing the large corporation :)


Merry Almost Christmas!

No comments: